What is reconstructive plastic surgery?
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery is an integral part of Plastic Surgery including a wide range of surgical interventions to restore the form and function of the body following trauma, removal of tumours, burns etc.
The idea is the transfer of tissue from a distant or adjacent part of the body and restoration of a defect using autologous tissues in the vast majority of cases. A precious tool in our armamentarium is Microsurgery, which necessitates the use of loupes and micro-instruments in order to raise tissue from a donor site area and transfer it to the defect site with the use of the operating microscope.
Hellenic Center of Microsurgery and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery can offer immediate and permanent solutions as well as functionally and aesthetically superior results to complex defects.
A wide range of specialized surgical options is included in our surgical armamentarium in order to offer solutions to ANY possible problem and reconstruct defects anywhere on the body using autologous tissue (tissue from your own body). More specifically, areas with special interest for our team are as follows:
- Excision of head and neck tumours and immediate reconstruction
- Breast reconstruction following mastectomy with autologous tissue.
- Excision of benign and malignant skin lesions (inc. Malignant Melanomas, Sarcomas, etc) and immediate reconstruction.
- Functional and aesthetically accepted reconstruction of complex defects of the nose, ears, lips, tongue and mandible.
- Reconstruction of contractile burn scars.
- Reconstruction of traumatic defects or chronic wounds with osteomyelitis of upper and lower limbs.
- Reconstruction of abdominal wounds and defects around genitalia.
- Surgical reconstruction of pressure sores and ulcers.
- Reconstruction of functional defects & chronic wounds of palm and digits
- Reconstruction of chest and back area defects.
- Reconstruction of amputated stump defects.
- Confrontation of surgical complications.
- Vessel, nerve and tendon repairs.